- This event has passed.
Opening Reception – Atmospheric Shift by the ECU Ceramics Guild
October 7, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
As part of the ongoing collaboration between the North Carolina Pottery Center and East Carolina University’s School of Art & Design and Ceramics Program, we are pleased to present Atmospheric Shift by members of the ECU Ceramics Guild.
Atmospheric Shift – When clay is fired it goes through several molecular changes, and the internal structure shifts to a permanent state. During this process, the atmosphere inside the kiln goes through shifts as well. The atmosphere is changed by heat and the separation of water molecules and other organic compounds. This is especially true in kilns fired using organic fuel such as gas or wood. At ECU, students experiment with different fuel types, firing methods, and firing atmospheres to achieve unique surfaces and finish qualities on their creative work. The pieces in Atmospheric Shift showcase the variety and beauty can result.
Representing the ECU Ceramics Guild:
- Allean Carpenter (Greenville, NC)
- Robin Carter (St. Mary, GA)
- Rachel Clark (Greenville, NC)
- Lacey Hargroder (Greenville, NC)
- Haley Jackson (Greenville, NC)
- Grace Joyner (Rocky Mount, NC)
- Elizabeth Kerr (Kernersville, NC)
- Kelsey Lineberger (Wilson, NC)
- Heather McLelland (Kinston, NC)
- Samantha Mejia (Raleigh, NC)
- Aleix Murphy (Wallace, NC)
- Ronson Shultz (Greenville, NC)
- Allison Stokely (Durham, NC)
Some of the pieces in this show will be available for purchase. If purchased, a piece must remain in the exhibition through its end date.
The opening reception for Atmospheric Shift is Saturday, October 7, from noon – 2:00 pm and is free and open to the public. We hope you’ll join us!